Submitted on 6/12/2016 by John for Latin week (week starting 6/19/2016)
Author bio: Contributing Author for JaquesKitchen.com
Recipe country of origin Mexico
Description: Chicken Tinga is a simple dish that can easily be made in a slow cooker it consists of shredded chicken slowly cooked in a sauce of fresh ripe tomatoes, chipotle chilies and other spices.
This dish can easily be used for many different meals, tacos, burrito filling, tostadas, let your imagination run wild.
4 1/2 pounds skinless whole chicken legs
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 cups chicken stock
2 large vine ripened tomato, chopped
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 bay leaves
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- Layer onions on the bottom of the crock pot. Top with Skinless whole chicken legs, top with garlic, oregano, cumin, and coriander. Add tomatoes and broth.
- Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours (until chicken is no longer pink in the center).
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, de-bone and shred.
- Remove the bay leaves from the sauce remaining in the slow cooker. Then Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree.
- Add as much adobo sauce and as many chipotle peppers as desired to attain the heat level and smokiness desired.
- Return shredded chicken and sauce to the slow cooker, mix well, and cook for another 1/2 hour on low.
3 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga”
yum yum 🙂