According to research firm, Euromonitor, ketchup surpassed mayonnaise as the No. 1 most-used condiment.
What’s wrong with mayo? Mayonnaise is loaded with fat, calories and salt. One tablespoon has approximately 94 calories; 10 grams of fat; and not much of anything else.
So why not try these lower calorie alternatives?
Some simple alternatives include:
Amount: 1 cup
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1 cup yogurt
– 1 cup cottage cheese pureed in a blender
– Or use any of the above for part of the mayonnaise
For use in Salads and Salad dressings
Greek yogurt mayonnaise (from Dr. Oz)
- 3 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 17 oz Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- stevia to taste
- pepper to taste
- put ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Easy Ranch Dressing (from Wellness Mama)
- ½ to ¾ cup Plain Full Fat Yogurt or Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) of dried dill weed
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 6 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP parmesan
- Put yogurt, garlic and spices in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Very slowly, add the oil so that it emulsifies.
- Use immediately, or store up to 1 week in the fridge
Ranch Dressing Variations
- Use 2 tsp of fresh herbs like dill, mint, or basil for alternate flavors.
- Use avocado instead of yogurt if you don’t tolerate dairy.
- Use Italian Seasoning instead of dill and double the parmesan for a Caesar like dressing